Saturday, June 11, 2011

SOTW: Something Dark



Most of the time, regardless of my moods, I'm content doing my usual straight-forward-happy-go-lucky cartoon doodles. Even when I fall into a somewhat sadder mood they seem to provide some kind of escape. But on occasion the emotions that I'm feeling are so particularly strong that my usual art provides me with no comfort. So, it is during these times that I feel a need to capture the emotions onto paper, to the best of my ability.

When doing these more personal, emotional sketches I usually don't do a lot of planning. I just focus on what I'm feeling and illustrate the imagery that pops into my head. Many times I fail to capture any coherent composition or properly convey my feelings, but in this case I was able to do both. In fact it turned out so well that it was as if I'd ripped the emotions from my mind and trapped them onto a piece paper. It's quite therapeutic and I think I'll try doing stuff like this more often.

Originally I had no plans on sharing this with the general public. I suppose out of some discomfort with sharing something so personal. But a couple of things changed my mind. One being that the emotions I was feeling had faded away a bit since I had drawn this. Another being that I myself always enjoy looking at an artists personal work. It's like a window into somebodies psyche and it makes you realize that you are not alone in what you are dealing with as a human being. And you know, there's a lot of people in the world, So there's always going to be somebody that will be able to relate or at least take something away from the art.

No comments:

Post a Comment