Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Years Resolution

Usually I don't make any New Year's resolutions, unless it's something kind of vague like, make more money with my art. And that's usually something I would be doing no matter what. This year, however,  I've decided to make a real resolution; I'm going to finish all the projects that I've had on the back burner for a while.  I'm going to start one at a time and finish them to completion within the first few months of this year. Then I'm going to start on the projects that I've been meaning to do for a long time and hopefully have those done or going on before 2012 is over. 

The first thing I'm going to do is finish inking and lettering Rudolph The Hideous Abomination.  I started working on and posting this comic like two years ago. Then I got pretty busy with freelance work so I wasn't able to work on it quite as much.  After a while, I got so sick of working my day job that I decided I couldn't do any art projects that weren't going to bring me money.  I was really hoping I could start making a living with my art real soon. So I started focusing on doing stock illustrations and designing T-shirts when I wasn't doing freelance work. So, I just didn't have the time to work on Rudolph anymore. 

2011 was a good year for freelance work but not so good the stock illustrations.  Around July my sales dropped drastically even though I had uploaded a number of new illustrations. So my money making plans didn't really work out. Because of this, I decided I could no longer put so much stock (no pun  intended) into doing stock illustration.  So, I decided to exploit every source I  could. This year I've started selling products on Zazzle.com, designed souvenir T-shirts to sell locally, entered contests and started a new webcomic, The Daily Doodle.  There's a lot of other things I'd like to start in the coming year, some of which I've had on my mind for a while but I just can't do anything new otherwise I'll feel guilty about the things I haven't finished.  So, I've decided not to be too concerned on whether or not these projects will be lucrative and finally put an end to that nagging guilt!

2 comments:

  1. Rudolph The Hideous Abomination is funny shit. Your artwork is looking better every time you post something. If you finish Rudolph, you might consider taking a print copy to APE. I think that might be a good venue for you.

    Also, if you are looking for some funding for a project you might consider Kickstarter or Indy GoGo.

    Keep in touch- Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words and suggestions, Lane. I'll keep that stuff in mind.

    ReplyDelete