Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sketch Of The Week: Mr. Freeze Face

Usually, I work in a mostly digital cartoon style but sometimes I like to venture off into slightly unfamiliar realms. I'm a big fan of old movie posters and pulp illustrations and have wanted to try my hand at creating my own. I'm definitely not as skilled with a brush as I am with the pencil, so I've been experimenting with a mix of water color and colored pencil to create a similar look.

I use water color as my base color and then after it dries I tighten everything up and add details with colored pencil. I think I might be on to something here. I've still got some more experimentation to do though. I think I need to apply more detail with the water color before moving on to the pencils to avoid having too much of that pencil texture.

One issue I'm having with doing pieces completely non-digital is getting them properly scanned or photographed. My scanner seems to wash out a lot of the color and subtle detail. It might be time for me to invest in a better scanner.

No comments:

Post a Comment